Science and Technology
- Is the level of technology in this society comparable to that
of ancient Rome, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, the Industrial
- What important inventions or advances have been made (the
wheel, gunpowder, printing, flush toilets)? Have any of them been
produced in quantities sufficient to affect the daily lives of the
average person, or are flush toilet a luxury for nobility
- What inventions or advances have not been made that you
would expect to see at this stage of technological development?
Why? Which ones are about to be made?
- How much is known about the laws of nature, physics, and magic?
How much of what is commonly known is wrong (e.g., Aristotle's
ideas about human anatomy, which were wrong but accepted for
- Are the laws of nature and physics actually different in this
world, or are they the same as in real life? How does magic fit in?
How do magical beasts fit in?
- Where is scientific and/or magical research done --
universities, private labs, under the auspices of the king or
- In what areas might magic replace technology, and thus suppress
its development (example: if a spell to keep food cold is easy and
cheap, there's no need to invent refrigerators)? In what areas
might magic cause more rapid technological or scientific
development (common use of crystal balls might lead someone to
think of inventing the lens/telescope sooner)?
- How do the technology levels and scientific knowledge of
non-human races compare to those of humans? Are there significant
differences, and if so, why?
Skip to: Top or page information.
Donate by Mail!
8800 N IH 35
AUSTIN TX 78753
Donate by PayPal!
Donations are not tax deductible and do not buy
access, products, or services.
Skip to: Top or
This page contains the "Science and Technology" section of
Patricia C. Wrede's Worldbuilder Questions.
Worldbuilder Guided Tour
Use the following links to continue the
Worldbuilder Guided Tour. This will abandon any excursion tours
PREV | HOME | NEXT